The Appeal Board is constituted under Section 55 of the Administration of Muslim Law Act (AMLA) to hear appeals from decision of the Syariah Court, Kadi or Naib Kadi. The President of Singapore acting on the advice of the Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura shall at least once in every 2 years nominate at least 7 Muslims to form a panel of persons from among whom an Appeal Board of 3 may be constituted from time to time by the President of the Majlis.
On any appeal,an Appeal Board may confirm, reverse or vary the decision of the Syariah Court, exercise any such powers as the Syariah Court could have exercised, make such order as the Syariah Court ought to have made or order a retrial, or award costs if it thinks fit.
MEMBERS OF THE APPEAL BOARD
The list of Appeal Board members for the period 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2017 (both dates inclusive) are:
(1) Mr Abdul Rahim Bin Abdul Jalil
(2) Mr Syed Alwee Bin Ahmad Alsree
(3) Ms Hamidah Binte Ibrahim
(4) Mr Muhammad Hidhir Bin Abdul Majid
(5) Mr Shaiffudin Bin Saruwan
(6) Ms Salina Binte Ishak
(7) Mr Latiff Bin Ibrahim
(8) Mr Hamidul Haq
(9) Ms Faridah Eryani Binte Pairin
(10) Mr Mohamed Nasser Bin Ismail
(11) Mr Mohamed Faizal s/o Mohamed Abdul Kadir
(12) Mr Saripi Bin Rawi
(13) Mr Ahmad Shamsuddin Bin Ahmad
(14) Mr Ahmad Qadri Bin Mohamed Sidek
(15) Mdm Harinah Binte Abdul Latiff
(16) Dr Muhammad Haniff Bin Hassan
(17) Dr Mohamed Bin Ali
(18) Mr Muhammad Saiful Alam Shah Bin Sudiman
(19) Mr Mustazah Bin Bahari
(20) Mr Mohd Kamal Bin Mokhtar
(21) Mr Shaikh Loqman Bin Shaikh Hasan
(22) Mr Mohammad Yusri Yubhi Bin Md Yusof
(23) Mdm Kalthom Binte Muhammad Isa
(1) An appeal shall lie to an Appeal Board constituted under section 55 of the AMLA from any decision of the Syariah Court --
(a) by any person aggrieved by the decision if the amount in issue on appeal is not less than $450;
(b) in all cases involving any decision as to personal status, by any person aggrieved by the decision;
(c) in all cases relating to maintenance, by any person aggrieved by the decision;
(d) in all cases relating to custody of minor children, by any person aggrieved by the decision;
(e) in all cases relating to the disposition or division of property on divorce or nullification of marriage, by any party aggrieved by the decision;
(f) to grant or refuse leave to commence or to continue civil proceedings under section 35A of the AMLA, by the other party in the civil proceedings; or
(g) in any other case, with the leave of the Appeal Board.
(2) No appeal under subsection (1) (a), (b), (c), (d) or (e) shall lie against a decision of the Syariah Court by consent except with the leave of the Appeal Board.
An appeal from the decision of a Kadi or Naib Kadi under the AMLA shall lie to an Appeal Board constituted under section 55 and that section shall apply, with the necessary modifications, to an appeal from the decision of a Kadi or Naib Kadi as they apply to an appeal from a decision of the Syariah Court.